Monday, January 12, 2009

Divisional Weekend



I spent most of the weekend watching nearly every second of all four football games this weekend. I enjoyed it greatly, but I can't say the same for my girlfriend who truly believes that football has ruined her life and can't wait for February 2nd.

For some stupid reason, I got talked into watching the Sunday games at Steamers, a Bar & Grill owned by a Steelers fan. I thought it might be fun to go there and just be with people who enjoy playoff football. Well, I am an idiot. I hate Steelers fans worse than most other sports fans and it got even worse Sunday. It all started with the dumb songs they played at a volume that everyone agreed was way too loud. Songs like "The Pittsburgh Polka", "Big, Bad, Ben", and "Here We Go Steelers" (which needs updated) played the entire 20 minutes before the game, after every score, during halftime, and after the game. It made me feel like I was in the movie A Clockwork Orange. Being in a block pool made me stay there until the end and almost persuaded me to slit my wrists north/south.

Steelers fans make it easy to hate them too. Like the idiot at the bar who kept yelling "FIRE IN THE HOLE" every time the Steelers threw a pass over 5 yards. It makes a lot of sense right? So of course others started yelling it every time as well. Even better was the guy at the bar that we named Mike Tomlin, who after every good defensive play he would then stand up, point to someone across the bar, and then raise both arms flexing. He did a great job stopping the San Diego offense so he had the right to do this.

All in all I got drunk and had a fish sandwich that was so big that it's illegal in Rhode Island. This weekend should be about the same, minus the hell hole. Congratulations to the Steelers on their Super Bowl victory this year, and to Mike Tomlin flexing at Steamers. Fire in the hole!

My picks:
Pittsburgh 23 - Baltimore 17
Arizona 33 - Philadelphia 24

3 comments:

The Chancellor said...

Steelers fans are the worst. They all wear jerseys and think that if you shout a player's first name at the TV he can hear you.

Anonymous said...

what a great time steamer's is..

-gator

Dave said...

I've never seen your brother root against the Steelers.